Thursday, October 2, 2008

My heart hurts a little. (This is a long 'un!!)

Ok.... the Cubs game didn't end so well. Hey, at least Big Brother and I paid face value for the tickets! I have faith that they will win tonight- simply because they have to. I am reserving discussion about the game because I am in mourning (and perhaps also slightly hung over).

I WILL, however, discuss the new Pushing Daisies. Right after I watch it sober. It appears I missed quite a bit of it... though I did NOT miss both the visual delight of Olive twirling away atop a mountain, as well as the killer Happy Time Temp reference. (Dead Like Me... HOLLA!)

In other Birv news... who's pumped for the VP debate tonight? I am jazzed about it right now, with the full knowledge that I may not be able to stomach Sarah Palin and her stuttering, nonsensical responses for long. I have fortified myself with Netflix and several Tivoed shows... just in case.

Honestly- the thought of this woman in any position of power frightens me. Barring the fact that McCain seemingly chose her as a running mate by pulling her name from a hat, the very fact that Palin believes that she is REMOTELY capable of fulfilling the vice-presidential position is cause for concern.

What frightens me most is that Palin supports causes and takes positions on issues with little to no ability to explain her reasoning behind her political stance.

All I can say is that I hope fervently that Biden ignores requests to go easy on Palin, and strikes her down swiftly and decisively. In other words, I hope he annihilates her tonight.

Some choice Palin moments are below... I don't think I even need to comment on them- her baffling world view stands on it's own merit. (Courtesy of http://thinkprogress.org/palin-digest/):

Palin Opposed Expanding Hate Crime Laws. A 2006 Eagle Forum Alaska questionnaire asked, “Will you support an effort to expand hate crime laws?” Palin replied, “No, as I believe all heinous crime is based on hate.” [Washington Blade, 9/2/08]

Palin Believes The Founding Fathers Wrote The Pledge Of Allegiance. In 2006, when asked by the Eagle Forum Alaska if she found the phrase “Under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance offensive, Palin replied, “Not on your life. If it was good enough for the founding fathers, its good enough for me.” But the words “Under God” didn’t appear in the Pledge until 1954. The Pledge itself wasn’t written until 1892. [Huffington Post, 9/1/08; Slate, 6/28/02]

Palin Is Unaware Of The Bush Doctrine. During an interview with ABC’s Charlie Gibson, Palin was stumped about the Bush Doctrine, thinking it was the President’s “worldview.” [ABC News, 9/11/08] See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z75QSExE0jU

Palin Hasn’t Given The War In Iraq Much Thought. Palin told the Alaska Business Monthly, “I’ve been so focused on state government, I haven’t really focused much on the war in Iraq. I heard on the news about the new deployments, and while I support our president, Condoleezza Rice and the administration, I want to know that we have an exit plan in place.” [Alaska Business Monthly, 3/1/07]

No comments: