Thursday, October 30, 2008

Obama vs. the Steamed Dumplings


So I didn't watch the Obama infomercial. I figured, I'm already voting for the guy, so unless he's giving me a deal on acne cream, or a device to cook a comically large turkey leg, I don't really need to hear anymore.

In the battle between dead-horse campaigning and my favorite show's dying ratings, a choice had to be made.

So I watched Pushing Daisies. I'll be honest, this wasn't the best episode. The balance between procedural and romance was off this week, and the writing wasn't quite as sharp as usual. However, it still maintained enough moments for me to mark it as the most original thing on TV this week. Who can not love this show? Dim Sum poker. Stephen Root guest starring. Highly enjoyable. Plus, hooray for the return of Simone!

The most sigh-worthy moment of the night? Ned reconnecting, physically, with his half-brothers. The look on his face during the hug! *single tear*

Best lines of the night:

Narrator: This was the first time Emerson Cod had ever been ordered to...

Simone: Come.

Olive: Keep walking! I love gongs! Nothing wrong with that!

I also watched the second episode of Stylista, the CW's new Devil Wears Prada-esque reality show, in which the contestants compete for a chance to be an editor at Elle magazine. What a wonderfully bitchy group of people! I mean, reality shows are usually cast with your rank and file attention-whores, gay stereotypes, rich bitches and that one regular Joe, but this show takes it to a whole new level. The people on Stylista HATE each other, and make no bones about it. There's no polite "excuse me, but I think you're idea is crap" here. There are shouting matches, eye-rolling, head-shaking and mockery all over the place, and it's only the second week of the competition!

I could give a rip about the world of fashion editing, and the challenges that the teams are given each week. I like this show because the contestants are systematically attempting to destroy each other, which is all too appropriate for the industry these people are trying to break into. Of course, Life is moving into the same time slot next week, so I have some TV choices to make. What's a girl to do?

No comments: